Ashley RICHES baritone and Sholto KYNOCH piano
Monday 09 March 2020 19:30
Holy Trinity Church, Ripon
Kerner Lieder Op.35
Experience extremes of elation and despair as Baritone Ashley Riches and pianist Sholto Kynoch (director of The Oxford Lieder Festival) perform two great song cycles by Schumann.
Dichterliebe (‘A Poet’s Love’) is a celebration of his happiness with his beloved Clara and their togetherness, but it is also a remembrance of the enormously difficult time they’d had when perhaps they both thought this wasn’t going to work and they wouldn’t be allowed to be together.’
Liederkreis - journeys, circles, and integrated personal relationships illuminate the personal paradox called Life.
Robert Schumann – Letter to Clara (February 1840)
‘Oh my Clara, what bliss it is to write songs. I can’t tell you how easy it has become for me…it is music of an entirely different kind which doesn’t have to pass through the fingers…I should like to sing myself to death, like a nightingale!’
Your comfort and safety are our top priority and so we are introducing best practice concert management features this season to help us all look out for each other:
- Tickets only by advance booking on website or from The Little Ripon Bookshop Tel 01765 606689.
- 1 metre social distancing when circulating or queuing and between seating.
- Hand sanitising on entry.
- Face covering is mandatory.
- Concert programme free of charge for everyone.
- Ushers will guide you to your seat.
- Seat bubbles of 1 or 2 people.
- No mingling during short interval / toilet break.
- No refreshments.
- Controlled exit from the church at the end of the concert.
- Please do not attend if you feel at all unwell (Covid symptoms are often very non specific.
- If you have not had both vaccinations, we expect you to have a negative lateral flow test on the day of the concert
We hope that these measures will give you peace of mind to further your enjoyment of wonderful music making.
Ripon Concerts is the trading name of the Cathedral Concert Society
Registered Charity No. 1163277
© 2022 Cathedral Concert Society